Upper School English/History/Social Studies Teacher
Curriculum Areas: Grades 6-12 English/History and 7th Grade Geography
Grades: 6-12, (Upper School)
Location: Oak Hill School, Eugene, OR
Schedule: A 1.0 FTE Contract is – 40 hours per week with up to 34 hours of student contact. This position will be filled as follows. Total FTE and number of faculty
Reports to: Head of School
Benefits: Fully paid employee-only medical, dental and vision insurance with family options. Holiday and PTO time. TIAA-Cref retirement available. Benefits package is subject to change on annual renewal.
Appointment Type: 1.0 FTE exempt – 10-month faculty appointment evaluated for renewal annually
Major Position Responsibilities
Teaching/Instruction. Faculty members are expected to be effective teachers and excel in course instruction.
- Select and develop instructional materials; plan and organize instruction to enhance student learning; create appropriate assignments to encourage student learning, the development of communication skills and higher order thinking.
- Use a variety of proven methods of engagement and assessment that facilitate student mastery of the content.
- Provide students constructive, encouraging and corrective feedback.
- Evaluate student learning by creating and applying course competencies and accurately evaluating student progress.
- Strive to increase teaching effectiveness through the application of appropriate teaching and learning strategies; evaluate student learning and modify instructional methods and strategies as appropriate to meet diverse student needs.
- Meet classes as scheduled; notify the appropriate faculty in advance if absent, and, arrange for a substitute instructor or assignments for class.
- Be accessible to students through technology or scheduled office hours including arranging, time for appointments.
- Prepare and distribute syllabi in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
- Maintain accurate and current records of students’ academic standing promptly providing final grades, attendance and other information as required by administration.
- Respect the confidentiality of student information; refrain from discussing or releasing such information except within recognized limits.
- Evaluate students solely based on academic performance and response promptly to student or parent grade questions.
- Create and revise, develop and update where appropriate, program curricula.
- Supervise students, ensuring a safe and healthy environment in the classroom and other areas of campus.
- Attend and participate in all required meetings and exercise stewardship in the use of Oak Hill facilities and materials.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff and stakeholders to create, preserve, develop and enhance partnerships.
- Treat all members of the Oak Hill community with respect, demonstrating professional, courteous behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution when needed.
- Participate in Oak Hill committees and instructional and school-wide planning to assist in recruitment and retention of students, faculty and staff.
- Attend and participate in professional development opportunities as offered by Oak Hill.
- Participation in nonacademic activities including but not limited to study halls, dances, class trips, etc.
- ·Bachelor’s Degree minimum; Masters degree preferred
- ·Educational expertise in English, History or other relevant area.
- ·Proven knowledge and expertise to effectively perform teaching duties including but not limited to the following areas:English / History
- ·Three + years teaching experience in a high school or college setting.
- ·A positive attitude, excellent written and verbal skills, strong organizational skills and proven success within a work setting that requires collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
- ·A willingness to collaborate and engage in dialogue about instructional practices with peers, and an interest in participating at a schoolwide level in activities is essential.
- ·Proven knowledge and expertise to effectively perform teaching duties including but not limited to the following areas: English & History
To apply, please forward Cover Letter, and Resume or C.V. to email@example.com
Oak Hill School is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. Oak Hill encourages all qualified individuals to apply and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities.
Oak Hill prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies.