March 30, 2020 - Distance Learning Update
To the Oak Hill School Community:
In these unprecedented times, we remain committed to continuing to provide the best and most comprehensive education for our students. With the temporary closure of the OHS campus (at least until April 28, and possibly longer), faculty and staff have embraced the concept of distance learning. We have been working tirelessly since the school closure to prepare for the launch of this program.
We see this as a growth opportunity for both students and teachers; an opportunity to be creative, nimble, flexible, and innovative.
Oak Hill School will engage in synchronous (real-time) and asynchronous (learning/sharing outside the constraints of time and place) off-site learning. This means teachers will be connecting with students and their families, using digital technology and various platforms to keep the learning and growing processes moving forward robustly.
Below are several important notions for all of us to keep in mind as we move ahead:
- Teaching and learning will continue but it will look and feel different. We cannot be afraid to let go, to make mistakes, to learn.
- Teaching will not be reduced to a collection of online links to consume. Students and families will continue to experience the personal touch of Oak Hill School.
- Appropriate guidelines and expectations will be written so that the distance learning school day does not place students in front of screens too much. Suggested daily schedules for on/off screen time by grade will help support parents and caregivers.
- Consistent, predictable methods of communicating with families are critical.
- Methods of assessing students and communicating student progress will include conferences, video chats, traditional assignments, and more.
- Lessons will be recorded and made available for students in the teacherís class.
This plan will begin on March 31, 2020. Between now and then, a copy of the Oak Hill Distance Learning Manual will be distributed electronically to our community. This document will outline OHS distance learning in more comprehensive detail. The necessary shift to a distance learning approach will require all of us to make adjustments. A continued sense of community will also play a vital role in ensuring the success of the plan. All of us at Oak Hill School are available to support and guide students and parents/guardians/caregivers as we move forward. We encourage you to embrace this time at home as a new adventure with great possibilities. We will emerge from this challenge as an even stronger school and community.
Thank you for your ongoing support.